Home Page · History · People · Places · Businesses · Books · Sounds · Community · Photographs · Events · Visitors

Barmouth - The Port


The Town
The Beginnings
The Name
The Port
Roads & Railway

Historical People
John Ruskin
Major H.W. Tilman
Harold Godfrey Lowe

Historical Events
Bronze Bell Wreck
Battle of Barmouth

Miscellaneous
Barmouth Milestones
Old Newspaper Report

Acknowledgements


Barmouth Harbour

In a number of respects the port of Barmouth might have been more accurately described as the port of Barmouth-Dolgellau for the two commercial centers were physically linked by the river Mawddach and by a 'cut' or navigation which joined the rivers Mawddach and Wnion in the late 18th century. Barmouth's main exports were derived largely from the Mawddach valley - oak timber, oak bark, poles, pit props, paving stones and briefly, 'webs' (long lengths of 'high country' cloth manufactured in the mills of Dolgellau).

'The shipping interests of Barmouth and Pwllheli appear to have pioneered the extensive London slate trade around 1800. As shipbuilding centers, Barmouth and Pwllheli were well to the fore from the 1770s to the 1840s (Barmouth until the 1820s and then Pwllheli in the 1830s and 1840s) when Porthmadoc/Borth-y-Gest took and retained the lead until shipbuilding ceased there in 1913. The present appearance of the small harbour at Barmouth, improved in 1797-1802 and reduced with the advent of the railways in 1865-7, belies the intense maritime endeavour of former times.'


John Pugh
Copyright 1999 [Digital Imagery]. All rights reserved.
Revised: February 23, 2002 .
Home Page · History · People · Places · Businesses · Books · Sounds · Community · Photographs · Events · Visitors